New Zealand’s Business and Investor categories have seen constant change since they were introduced in the 1980’s. This has resulted in Investors, in New Zealand, who have had to meet different criteria and conditions for their residency requirements.
It is important to note that the criteria which needs to be met within these categories is complex and each aspect needs to be met in order to be successful. The team at Woburn International can guide you through the process to ensure you meet the relevant Immigration New Zealand requirements.
To comply as an investor, you need to:
- Prove how you made the funds you are bringing.
- Determine how much time you would spend in NZ each year.
The current categories are:
Investor 1 Category
This category is structured for high net worth individuals who are able to invest NZ$10 million in New Zealand for a period of three years. It provides an avenue for you to obtain New Zealand Residence with a reduced criteria which needs to be met.
- No age limit.
- No English language requirement.
- No business experience required.
However, care needs to be taken in regards to the investment funds as there are strict requirements which need to be met in terms of:
- Proving the funds have been legally acquired.
- Transfer of funds to New Zealand.
- Meeting the investment criteria in New Zealand.
You need to spend a minimum of 44 days in New Zealand in the second and third years of the three year investment period, and meet Immigration New Zealand’s health and character requirements.
Investor 2 Category
This category is undergoing substantial review and change. It is structured to encourage high net worth business people to New Zealand who have a minimum of NZ $3 million in available funds or assets.
There is a limit of 400 investors under this category per annum, and selection is based on a ‘points’ system and submission of an expression of interest, (EOI). You must meet the minimum required number of points to be selected.
The points system is based on:
- Age (maximum 65).
- Business experience (min 3 years).
- English language, (minimum of IELTS overall band score of 3, or equivalent).
- Amount of investment (minimum of NZ $3 million in growth investments).
Selections are made each fortnight. You need to meet the following criteria:
- Spend a minimum of 146 days in New Zealand in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years of the 4 year investment period.
- Meet Immigration New Zealand’s health and character requirements.
- Keep your nominated funds invested in an acceptable investment in New Zealand for 4 years.
- Learn English.
- Maintain current contact details.
Investments in New Zealand are required to meet certain conditions, including:
- Being capable of earning a commercial return.
- Not being used for personal use.
- Being invested in New Zealand, in NZD.
- Being invested in a lawful enterprise or managed fund.
- Having the potential of contribute to New Zealand’s economy.
You can invest in one or more of:
- Equity in New Zealand firms and registered banks.
- Commercial and residential property developments.
- Philanthropic organisations.
- Angel investments.