Skip to main content


New Zealand’s Business and Investor categories have seen constant change since they were introduced in the 1980’s. This has resulted in Investors, in New Zealand, who have had to meet different criteria and conditions for their residency requirements.

It is important to note that the criteria which needs to be met within these categories is complex and each aspect needs to be met in order to be successful. The team at Woburn International can guide you through the process to ensure you meet the relevant Immigration New Zealand requirements.

To comply as an investor, you need to:

  • Prove how you made the funds you are bringing.
  • Determine how much time you would spend in NZ each year.

The current categories are:

Active Investor Plus Visa

Active Investor Plus information coming soon. If you need assistance now, please contact our office.
Do you need help or information? Contact us today.
Potential investors may also be interested in our services for Entrepreneurs. We can help you find the right business to fit your lifestyle.

Parent Retirement Category

Do you have an adult child who is a New Zealand citizen or resident? If so, you can apply to live in New Zealand permanently on a Parent Retirement Visa.

You’ll need to meet the following criteria:

  • You have an annual income of NZ $60,000; plus
  • NZ $1 million to invest for 4 years; and
  • Another NZ $500,000 to live on.

Once you’ve completed the 4-year investment period, you’ll be eligible for permanent residence.

With this visa, you can:
  • Live, work and study in New Zealand
  • Include your partner in your application
  • Apply for permanent residence after 4 years of keeping your funds invested in New Zealand
Points to note:
  • Once your residence application is approved in principle, you will have 12 months to transfer your investment funds to New Zealand
  • To come to New Zealand to investigate investment opportunities you will need to apply for a work visa. If your partner wishes to come with you, they will need to apply for their own work or visitor visa.