Skip to main content

Straight To Residence Visa

Do you have employment in a position that is listed on the Green list? You may be able to apply straight for residence, giving you more certainty if you are planning a permanent relocation to New Zealand.

We have the expertise to help you navigate the intricacies of the residence visa category to help you achieve your goals.

Residence Visa Occupations

There a many skilled occupations that allow you to apply for a straight-to-residence visa. Each position has its own requirements that must be met to be eligible. Please see below some of the occupations that are on the green list.

Tier 1 includes the following occupations:

• Construction Project Manager • Project Builder • Quantity Surveyor • Surveyor • Chemical Engineer • Civil Engineering Technician • Civil Engineer • Electrical Engineer • Electronics Engineer • Electrical Engineering Technician • Electronic Engineering Technician • Environmental Engineer • Geotechnical Engineer • Industrial Engineer • Materials Engineer • Mechanical Engineer • Production or Plant Engineer • Structural Engineer • Engineering Professionals (Not Elsewhere Classified) • Telecommunications Engineer • Telecommunications Network Engineers • General Practitioner • Anaesthetist • Psychiatrist • Specialist Physicians Not Elsewhere Classified • Surgeons (Including General Surgeons Cardiothoracic Surgeon Neurosurgeon Orthopaedic Surgeon Otorhinolaryngologist Urologist And Vascular Surgeon) • Other Medical Practitioners (Including Dermatologist Obstetrician And Gynaecologist Ophthalmologist Diagnostic And Interventional Radiologist And Radiation Oncologist) • Registered Nurses (aged care, child and family health, community health, critical care and emergency, developmental disability, disability and rehabilitation, medical, medical practice, mental health, perioperative, surgical, paediatrics) • Midwife • Resident Medical Officer • Medical Laboratory Scientist • Clinical Psychologists & Psychologists Physicist (Medical) • Orthoptist • Registered Auditor • Veterinarian • Other Spatial Scientist Environmental Research Scientist Food Technologist • Anaesthetic technician • Medical diagnostic (medical imaging technologist) • Medical laboratory technician • Medical radiation therapist • Occupational therapist • Sonographer • Podiatrist • Audiologist • ICT Managers • Software Engineer • ICT Security Specialist • Multimedia Specialists

Note: The government has recently announced that from May 2024, secondary teachers will be moved to tier 1 of the Green List

Requirements for occupations

Each position has a set of requirements that must be met to be eligible to apply for the straight-to-residence visa. Engineering positions are generally qualification-related, healthcare professionals must hold registration, other professions that have a registration process often must meet this requirement, while ICT positions are generally salary-based. Contact us today to see if you would meet the requirements for your occupation.

Other Key Information

• Only available to those 55 years and under
• Offers of employment MUST come from an Accredited Employer in New Zealand
• You can include your partner, and dependent children aged 24 and under, in your residence application
• You must meet Immigration New Zealand’s character and medical requirements
• Position must be paid at a median wage or above (NZD$31.61 an hour) unless stated elsewhere.

Pathway to permanent residence

You will initially be granted a 2-year indefinite resident visa with travel conditions. After holding the visa for 2 years you become eligible to apply for permanent subject to meeting the criteria.

Contact us today to discuss your options and begin the process of obtaining residence in New Zealand. Our experienced team is here to answer your questions and provide personalised guidance every step of the way.

Contact us

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Do I need to have a job to apply for a straight-to-residence visa?

Yes, you must have a job or a job offer in New Zealand to apply. Your employment must be with an accredited employer and either full-time and permanent, for a fixed term of at least 12 months or a contract for services of at least 6 months.

2. My current visa is expiring, can I continue to stay in New Zealand while my residence is being processed?

If you have applied for a Straight to Residence Visa and you have not applied for another type of temporary visa, you will need to make a new temporary visa application before your current visa expires. If you do not apply for a new temporary visa you would become unlawful.

3. Is English required for a straight-to-residence visa?

Yes, you must prove a certain level of English. This can be through your country of citizenship. There are also a range of tests that can be used. One of the tests is IELTS which has the minimum requirement of an overall score of 6.5 or more for the principal applicant. Secondary applicants will also need to meet the English requirements, but the levels are set lower.