Skip to main content

Work To Residence Visa

Do you have employment in a position that is listed on the Green list? The green list is split into 2 tiers. Tier 1 occupations can apply for residence straight away and Tier 2 occupations can apply for residence after 2 years.

We have the expertise to help you navigate the intricacies of the residence visa category to help you achieve your goals.

Residence Visa Occupations

Many Tier 2 occupations allow you to apply for a residence visa after being in New Zealand on an Accredited Employer Work Visa. Each position has its requirements that must be met to be eligible. Please see below some of the occupations that are on the green list. Tier 2 includes the following occupations:

• Early childhood (pre-primary School) teacher • Primary school teachers • All secondary school teachers (in addition to the specialisations already on the Green List) • Plumber • Building construction supervisors • Gasfitters • Drainlayers • Skilled crane operators • Skilled civil machine operators • Halal slaughterers • Skilled motor mechanics • Skilled telecommunications technicians • Aviation Engineer (Avionics, Aeronautical, Aerospace Engineer) • Naval Architects (aka Marine Designer) • Mechanical Engineering Technician • ICT Database and System Administrator • Aircraft Maintenance Engineer • Road Roller Operator • Paving Plant Operator • Corrections Officer • Metal Fabricator • Pressure Welder • Welder • Fitter (General)• Fitter and Turner • Fitter-Welder • Metal Machinist (First Class) • Panel Beater • Vehicle Painter

Note: The government has recently announced that from May 2024, secondary teachers will be moved to tier 1 of the Green List

Requirements for occupations

Each position has a set of requirements that must be met to be eligible to apply for the work-to-residence visa. Engineering roles are generally qualification related, Teachers must hold registration, and other professions that have registration process often must meet this requirement. Contact us today to see if you would meet the requirements for your occupation.

Other Key Information

• Only available to those 55 years and under
• Offers of employment MUST come from an Accredited Employer in New Zealand
• You can include your partner, and dependent children aged 24 and under, in your residence application
• You must meet Immigration New Zealand’s character and medical requirements
• Position must be paid at a median wage or above (NZD$31.61 an hour) unless stated elsewhere

Pathway to permanent residence

You will initially be granted a 2-year indefinite resident visa with travel conditions. After holding the visa for 2 years you become eligible to apply for a permanent residence visa subject to meeting the criteria.

Contact us today to discuss your options and begin the process of obtaining residence in New Zealand. Our experienced team is here to answer your questions and provide personalised guidance every step of the way.

Contact us

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Do I need to have a job to apply for a work-to-residence visa?

Yes, you must have a job or a job offer in New Zealand to apply. Your employment must be with an accredited employer and either full-time and permanent, for a fixed-term of at least 12 months or a contract for services of at least 6 months. You must have work in the role for at least 2 years before you can apply.

2. My current visa is expiring can I continue to stay in New Zealand while my residence is being processed?

If you have applied for a Work to Residence Visa and you have not applied for another type of temporary visa, you will need to make a new temporary visa application before your current visa expires. If you do not apply for a new temporary visa you would become unlawful.

3. Is English required for a work-to-residence visa?

Yes, you must prove a certain level of English. This can be through your country of citizenship. There are also a range of tests can be used. One of the tests is IELTS which has the minimum requirement of an overall score of 6.5 or more for the principal applicant. Secondary applicants will also need to meet the English requirements, but the levels are set lower.